Friday, July 13, 2007

I Love Peter

Good ol Billy Bob

I found out Eric Church is going to be at Billy Bob's on August 14 and I'm pretty pumped about seeing him. I think he has a pretty sweet sound. Gary Allan is going to be in our general vicinity. He'll be in Athens on August 17 and Thackerville August 18. He'll be at Billy Bob's on September 2 but that's for a huge concert that cost $30 and the only other person I'd want to see with him is Stoney LaRue. We'll see what happens. All I listen to is country these days and I really need to go to a concert!

The Scriptures

I wanted to start doing some extra stuff with my blog. I spend time in the mornings doing a devotion and just write some notes and thoughts about what I read. This won't be "this is what God showed me so you need to be shown the same things" it's just what God showed me. Most likely God will speak to you differently through the scriptures.

My Devotions

1 Peter 1:1-12

We believe without seeing or ever having seen. Amazing faith. We shouldn't take for granted what the disciples and apostles did after the death of Christ. This has become so prevalent in my mind when I think about how badly Paul and Peter died. All for Christ. All so we would have the books and letters we have today that are still so powerful. They spent ever ounce of their being carefully searching out the things of God and pronouncing his glory.

1 Peter 1:13-25

We fade but the Word of the Lord remains forever. It seems as if we have the Word in our hearts we will remain forever (this is just me trying to think simply and logically on how simple things work). Paul also quotes Jesus "You shall be Holy, for I am Holy". That quote really makes me think and gives me an unsettling feeling. What does this mean in my life and what actions do I need to take to get going in that direction.

1 Peter 2:13-17

The integrity that we have in the work place will prove our faith to our co-workers more than anything. More than even carrying a Bible or wearing a Christian t-shirt (which most Christian t-shirts are pointless anyway).

1 Peter 3:8-22

It is better tosuffer doing good than doing evil. But is God's will sometimes that we suffer from doing evil. Do we need the bad to help us see the good? I think a problem I've had in the past is when I care about or love someone, I tend to hold their past over their head. But if I really was so in love or blown away I'd realize that the past is what made them the person they are.

1 Peter 4:1-11

There is not a lot here in this passage and I'm not positive how to interpret it all. I do know God says don't live for the flesh but for the will of God. I think God makes it clear that He wants our actions to be distinctly different from the unsaved. You can even say the cliché, in the world not of the world. God knows we're going to be around evil things but just don't act like a worldly person. Even different situation might constitute different actions depending on who is around. Have self-control and be sober-minded and you'll be cool. Then Peter throws out the ace of spades or the trump card. Keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. God has blessed us and shown us crazy unbelievable grace and we have to turn around and do the same.

1 Peter 4:12-19 and 5: 1-14

I get a feeling God doesn't want us to follow him out of compulsion or on a whim, decide we want to lead a ministry. We should be consistent and faithful in doing the little thing and God, as long as we're ready and willing, will put us into action when he's ready for us.

Sometimes the Bible can be pretty hard hitting. God straight up opposes the proud. It's scary to think about being an enemy of God. We already know, according to the Word God, wins in the end. So if you're the enemy…you're done. But He gives grace to the humble. All we have to do is be humble, go to Him with our struggles and in his time He will exalt us (exalt: acclaim or pay tribute to). Humbleness seems so important and we need his grace so badly.

Peter

Search up the Apostle Peter or Saint Peter on Wikepdia. Learn about his and life and even his death. A lot of his death is partly speculation but supposedly he was crucified upside down and that was his idea. He didn't want his martyrdom to be equated to that of Jesus'. Check it out.