Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Rhythm

About 2 months ago I listened to a series on Rhythm by Matt Chandler. It was a series that caught my attention because it seemed like something that might apply to my life. Matt talked about knowing Jesus and who he really was and how he was a person who lived out what he preached. He talked about sometimes the thing that's wrong with us is we are just out of Rhythm with God. I saw a video Sunday morning and Rob Bell stated that sometimes we have knowledge and we know things about the Bible but our life is just out of tune with God. We can spit out knowledge and tell people how to live their lives but when it comes to love...we are just out of Rhythm.

When I first started playing guitar I had to teach myself. I had a wonderful book with pictures and even a CD to help me along. I would look at the book and think "Gosh this looks easy. Anyone could do this!" Now I didn't really have an ear for knowing if the guitar was in tune or not and I was terrible at Rhythm (lol). So you can imagine I was a horrible, horrible annoyance in my room to my parents. I found out it was a lot harder than it looked. It's kinda like our life and how it relates to God. We have all the knowledge in front of us and the tools to create a wonderful lifesong. But we are so out of tune and don't have a clue how to stay in Rhythm. We know every commandment in the book and love to let others know when they are wrong. But all those falls off the cliff to the depths of the ocean because we are so out of tune with God. Our relationship with Him lacks the Rhythm to even make it through 2 chords. I've realized lately that sometimes all the knowledge I have from growing up in church does me no good. I barely have a clue on how to truly love people.

So tonight, while leading worship, I finally felt in rhythm and in tune with God. It felt like nothing could destroy our rhythm...nothing could distract me from His Spirit. It felt like he took every note and made it beautiful. I feel like I am hearing his voice again. Specifically when I am studying for RAMM or listening to Chandler. He's speaking to me through those things and His warmth fills my soul. I'm praying that my rhythm with God will get tighter and tighter and through that I can display the love that Jesus not only taught...but lived out every day of His life.