Monday, February 13, 2006

I am the Pharisee

Luke 18:9-14

Story of the Pharisee and Tax Collector

9Then Jesus told this story to some who had great self-confidence and scorned everyone else: 10"Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a dishonest tax collector. 11The proud Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: `I thank you, God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else, especially like that tax collector over there! For I never cheat, I don't sin, I don't commit adultery, 12I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.'
13"But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, `O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.' 14I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For the proud will be humbled, but the humble will be honored."



So often I feel like the Pharisee. Notice how as he is praying to God he points out the other sinner and thanks God he is not like that man, when really, the humble tax collector is exactly who he needs to be. I need to have less self-confidence in myself and become humble before God and put my confidence directly at his feet. I am the pharisee. The one who's self-righteousness pushes away other believers and non-believers.

Phillipians 3:18

18For I have told you often before, and I say it again with tears in my eyes, that there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ.

I cringe at what Paul says to the church because I know that at times I am the enemy of the cross. I am only an object of destruction. I pray that God works in my life and humbles my spirit. I don't want to be the enemy. I don't want to become the prideful Pharisee. Pray that God humbles us and gives us the mighty power to conquer the pride within us.