Friday, September 24, 2010

Thank Goodness There is Finally a Shift in Christian Music

There are a lot of things I find annoying about KLTY. A song talking about a teenage girl and the message that God loves her for what’s inside her heart and not her outward appearance, followed by a live-spot by one of the DJ’s about laser hair removal for women. I think the song has a great message but I also don’t fault women for wanting to be more beautiful. It’s just a weird vibe. The other day I heard a song that almost makes it on my top 5 list ‘Let the Waters Rise’ by Mikeschair (released fall 2009) and then followed it by ‘I Will Follow’ by Chris Tomlin (released fall 2010). Those two songs sound exactly the same from the chord structure to the lyrics of the chorus. Now I will say that is the fault of Tomlin’s producer to not be in touch with Christian music (the business he must specialize in) and not realize that another single released last year sounds almost exact to this. One, it’s the producers fault. Two, what in the world is a DJ playing these two songs back to back for? If a DJ plays two songs back to back because they have the same message and sound similar, he should be fired. And the worst part of KLTY is definitely “Safe for the Whole Family.” I guess its great that a Mom with a little 5 year old in the car can feel safe putting it on KLTY. But shouldn’t the parent be smart enough to already know that they can’t throw it on 106.1? Also, how about the message and testimonial that KLTY just makes me “feel good.” How about a station that challenges us to do more for HIM and really messes with our heart? With that said, it really feels like there is a shift in Christian music happening and I will try to periodically highlight the artists who can’t help who KLTY is or what their slogan is. Because as far as the one who has tuned out KLTY is and still has the same pre-conceived notions about the station, they are missing out on some amazing artists and amazing music. So here I will highlight five songs that you NEED to YouTube and take a listen to.

‘Something Beautiful’ by Needtobreathe
‘Lead Me’ by Sanctus Real
‘Hold Us Together’ by Matt Maher
‘Can Anybody Hear Me’ by Meredith Andrews
‘Light Up the Sky’ by The Afters

These songs are a must listen and there are many more out there that I will continue to suggest in my next list.