Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Somewhat Offended

Warning:
I don't want to come across as an arrogant person although some will automatically assume one thing or the other. This is no more than a defensive response to me being offended.

I'm sick and tired of people who do nothing but talk down about Mesquite. Now this is not me speaking of those who say we talk like hicks and all we have is the rodeo. I get it. At the Dallas-Mesquite city limit where 30 and 80 split there is a billboard that reads 'Welcome to Mesquite! Home of the Rodeo!" So I get it. I understand and mark my words that billboard might be burnt down some day. There is a plan in place...I mean...I heard...uh...ok back to the point. It's not those people I'm talking about. It's the ones who question the character of the people who live here. The ones who say there is no sense of community in the city of Mesquite.

If you're one of those people you need to either get out or do something to change your community. Leave your church, sell your house or don't sign that 13 month lease. It's the people that complain but yet they still live here and take up space. In a way i'm calling out myself here too. I don't talk bad about Mesquite, I love living here but sometimes I do feel like I just take up space in the church and am unproductive as part of the Body of Christ.

I started wondering the other day what is a Christian? There is a guy that chats with me in an alley from his backyard in West Dallas. He is a strong democrat and openly homosexual. He has a very poor outlook on Christianity mainly because of what he sees in George W. Bush. I wonder how I would respond if he asked me about Christianity. I thought about a short answer and came to the conclusion that a Christian is not someone who tells an individual how to live but is a servant to that person. My answer did cause a dilemma but seemed atleast half-way correct. Jesus spent much of his time serving others but when it came down to it He was very bold in telling people what God expected of us. Where do we draw the line?