Sunday, November 05, 2006

Help Us Love

Disappointment

One thing i've learned in the past year is you HAVE to stop worrying about the decisions others make. God gave us the free will to make our own decisions and I think he teaches us through that. I'm super tired of people always been worried about what they think others are doing immorally. Don't get me wrong, i've been guilty of this a million times but God has really shown me that this is unacceptable. I guess i'd rather be friends with the murderers and hookers than the pharisees.

Faith Community

Saturday, Phillip, my sister, Megan and I reached out to the community. Phillip had an idea to go to the donut palace down the street from the church and pay for ppl's donuts. So after much explaining to the donut ladies (who didn't really understand what we wanted to do) I stood at the register and paid for everyones donuts for the next hour or so while Phillip stood at the door with our outreach brochure. We weren't inviting people to church, just letting them know that we were there for them in any needs that they or their neighbors might have. At first the donut ladies couldn't understand why we would want to do this! They kept asking "why?" and "this is so amazing". I guess it didn't occur to me that our outreach might end up having the biggest affect on them. It was amazing to see the look on people's faces when they realized that they could put their money back in their wallet because we had paid for it. Even when our $160 had run out, we noticed the donut lady was still giving donuts for FREE and handing out our brochure for us! It's unbelievable what simple things with great love can do.

Get Involved

Creecy did a great job this morning explaining our brochure and after he spoke I mentioned that anyone could volunteer to serve in this new ministry. I wish I could have caught myself before I said that because we don't consider this "serving" or "sacrifice". It's simply love. If you have the desire to reach out and love on the community, we really need you.